Starts and turns. They can be your best friend, or your worst enemy. You can win or lose races with your start and turns, and it’s way more fun to win.
Below this week’s info you’ll find videos. Several for turns, several for starts.
I suggest watching them and writing down key points to think about while you’re swimming during practice. I’ll give you a few bullet-points from the videos for you to keep in mind, but it’s always better to write down the specific points that stick out to you individually. Writing specific, key points down is the best way to memorize them for easier recall later while you’re in the water.
We’ll be working more on fast turns and clean starts as the season ticks on. In order to make the most of your time, please come to practice having watched these videos and with ideas for things to work on already in your brain!
Loveland vs. Greeley West
This Tuesday we swim against Greeley West High School at the Greeley Recreation Center. Athletes please wear your team shirt to school on Tuesday to show your team spirit!
- Athletes will be released from class at 1:15
- The bus will leave at promptly 1:30
- We may have some down time, so if you have any homework, do it!
- Warm up’s start at 3:00
- Meet starts at 4:00
- We should return to the school by 7:00
2015 Keith Wiedemen Invite
LHS will be competing alongside a good number of teams this weekend, so lets show some Indian pride! This meet has a different format than most, with diving on Friday only, and the swimming events on Saturday.
Friday – Diving
Due to the number of divers we have, athletes are asked to find their own transportation to the Greeley Recreation Center on Friday.
- Divers will be released from class at 12:50 on Friday
- Leave LHS by 1:00
- Dive Coach Jim Toomey will meet you at the pool before warm ups
- Warm up starts at 2:00pm
- Diving starts at 4:00pm
Saturday – Swimming
Unfortunately, I don’t have any information yet for warm up times, so some of this may change. For now, plan on…
- Bus will leave LHS at 6:30am
- Warm ups start at 8:00 (Complete guess)
- Meet starts at 10:00am (This is correct)
Where to Place Your Feet
- Dominant foot forward, toes over edge of block
- Feet should be one hand width between feet laterally
- Back foot should be about one foot size behind front
- Base should feel steady and powerful
The Slingshot Start
- Begin in a RELAXED position with your hands on the block
- Keep head lowered, stare at the back heel of your front foot
- On mark, shift weight to rear foot and add tension to arms by pulling upward
- On the push off, initiate movement from rear foot
The Backstroke Start
- Get airborne
- Place feet side by side, high in the water, shoulder width apart
- On mark, pull in an upward to a balanced position with your bum out of the water
- Keep chin up and spine in a line
- Accelerate into the wall
- Keep eyes at bottom of pool
- Tuck into a tight ball
- Rotate to your stomach AFTER the flip
- Keep arms straight, pulling into streamline
- Keep head down, tucked to chest
The Push and Breakout
- Push straight off the wall
- Rotate to your stomach at a steady pace
- Kick hard and fast right off the wall
- Hold streamline tightly
- Do not breathe on first stroke